Sunday, March 18, 2012

Monster #3—Godzilla

There's two childhood inspirations my love of monsters can be tracked back to. One of them is the 1st edition Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual, with its hundred plus pages of awesome monster art and wonderful statistics for each critter, but the other one's quite a bit older than that. And a lot bigger, to boot!

Godzilla was the first movie I watched on Creature Features, a show that, every Saturday night at 11:30, would broadcast old monster movies. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I'd seen Attack of the Mushroom People on Creature Features as well... in fact... it was only a week or so before that that Godzilla was on. That viewing not only kicked off the weekly "Father/Son" midnight monster movie tradition (at least... whenever Creature Features was showing a good movie, that is), but I'm pretty sure it kicked off my love of monsters, giving me a nice segue from dinosaurs into things that do more than dinosaurs.

Like breathe fire and eat trains.

Anyway, I figured I should get Godzilla out of the way earlier than later on Monster Day. He's the King of the Monsters, after all... and in that he started me on this path, that name's really pretty apt!

Recommended Reading
  • A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s GodzillaSeries, 2d ed., by David Kalat
Recommended Viewing*
  • Gojira, dir. Ishiro Honda
  • Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-OutAttack, dir. Shûsuke Kaneko

 *I could list a dozen more Godzilla movies, easy... but those two are my favorites. I won't speak here of the worst of them, beyond saying that the preview tricked me good into thinking it would be a good movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment