This post isn't about real-world parasites. Those are too frightening. This post is about monster parasites from film and fiction. These critters are horrifying and disgusting and vile, but when the movie is over and the book is done, you can breathe easy, knowing it was all fiction. Right?
In fact, now that I think on it, my two favorite movies are about parasites. In Alien, you've got a creature that has a complex five or six stage life cycle that uses another living creature as a host to transition from its second and third parasitic stages into its fourth and most violent stage. And in John Carpenter's The Thing you have a creature who's every single cell is its own creature, a parasite that invades any living thing, feeds on it, and then becomes it.
Hmm. This is kinda suddenly exploding into a huge new category, the more I think about it. I mean... there were the freaky insectoid lice creatures that infested the body of the monster in Cloverfield, the supernatural demonic entity of the Rec movies, the slithery worms in Slither and the creepy worms in Night of the Creeps, the critter from Wrath of Khan, and of course the eponymous parasite of the movie Parasite (AKA Demi Moore's first movie). Which, as you can see below, has an incredibly awesome trailer.
|At least it's not a guinea worm!|
Actually... I'm gonna stop here and just start the reccomended viewing and reading lists. There's a lot. I'm sure I'll forget some. But the following should keep you squirming for a while.
- We Live Inside You, by Jeremy Robert Johnson
- Alien, dir. Ridley Scott
- Prometheus, dir. Ridley Scott
- The Thing, dir. John Carpenter
- Slither, dir. James Gunn
- [Rec]2, dir. Jaume Balagueró, Paco Plaza
- Night of the Creeps, dir. Fred Dekker
- Cloverfield, dir. Matt Reeves
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, dir. Nicholas Meyer
- The Puppet Masters, dir. Stuart Orme
- They Came From Within, dir. David Cronenberg
- Parasite, dir. Charles Band
- The Bay, dir. Barry Levinson
- Splinter, dir. Toby Wilkins
- The Thaw, dir. Mark A. Lewis
- The Mist, dir. Frank Darabont
- The Hidden, dir. Jack Sholder
- The Faculty, dir. Robert Rodriguez
- The Tingler, dir. William Castle
- Dark City, dir. Alex Proyas